Submit your entry for the
NMM Best in Show Award
All exhibitors in the 40th National Media Market & Conference in 2018 are eligible to submit one (1) film from their current releases to compete for this prestigious award.
NMM's Best in Show provides special recognition for a group of up to five finalists and the winner from that group through:
- an awards ceremony
- full-length gala screening at the market for the winner
- NMM newsletter and website promotional campaigns before, during and after the market
- press release issued to industry media
- a social media campaign conducted by NMM's marketing team
- a full-page ad in Video Librarian Magazine.
Entry fees are $50 before June 1 and $75 afterwards, up to the entry deadline of 6pm PT, June 30.
How to Enter
You may enter when registering as an exhibitor. Upon payment of fees, you'll be emailed a link to an online entry form, where you can enter details of your film submission and a password-protected Vimeo link. The completed form and the link must be made available to jurors no later than July 1. (See Restrictions below.)
All genres and subjects are eligible.
Up to five (5) Best in Show finalists will be announced by September 15th.
To allow for onsite promotion at the conference and through various media, exhibitors whose films are selected as finalists will be required to provide by October 1st:
- a screening trailer of no more than three (3) minutes in duration
- high-resolution promotional JPEG images, including a poster if available
- a digital file of the finalist film suitable for theatrical projection
The Best in Show winner will be announced at a ceremony on the last evening of the conference, followed by a full-length gala screening at a venue to be announced.
Restrictions - please read carefully
- All submissions are final. Submissions can be withdrawn by written request, but not changed. Fees will not be refunded if a submission is withdrawn after July 1, 2018.
- Final product or 'distributor copy' is required for submission. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Only password-protected Vimeo links are acceptable for judging. No proprietary or secondary links will be accepted.
- Entries submitted after the deadline of 6pm Pacific Time, June 30th, will not be accepted. Sorry, no exceptions.
Best in Show Timeline
- January 29, 2018 — exhibitor registration opens, along with BIS competition. Entry fees are $50. Fees do not have to be accompanied by a submission. Submissions may be turned in anytime prior to midnight Pacific Time, July 1.
- May 31, 2018 (6pm Pacific Time) — entry fees increase to $75.
- June 30, 2018 (6pm Pacific Time) — BIS entries close. Entries received after this time will be disqualified and fees refunded.
- July 1, 2018 (midnight PT) — submission materials deadline. All submission materials received after this time will be returned and fees refunded.
- September 15, 2018 — Finalists announced by jury. Materials requests sent to finalists.
- October 1, 2018 — Deadline for finalist materials (see list above).
- October 7, 2018 — NMM Evening reception, finalists' trailers presented as a teaser for the Wednesday night screening.
- October 10, 2018 — Announcement of BIS winner, presentation of award, full-length screening at a venue to be announced.
Best in Show Evaluation Criteria
QUALITY OF IDEAS:
- Originality (e.g. addresses a new topic or a unique facet of a well-covered topic)
- Authenticity (topic is presented in an ethical / thoughtful manner)
EXPRESSION OF IDEAS:
- Expands viewer knowledge of a particular subject
- Clarity of presentation
QUALITY OF CRAFT:
- Skillful editing / cinematography / narration / etc.
- Expands the boundaries of educational video
NMM Best in Show Comments Form
We welcome your feedback on our Best in Show awards process.